If you feel moody, anxious, depressed, stressed or have any combination of these, I would like to personally recommend you to take 5-HTP supplements.
5-HTP is an amino acid that is integral in the production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that causes happiness and positivity. Serotonin is produced by the body from tryptophan and 5-HTP is the immediate precursor to serotonin.
5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin and has been studied extensively for its role as a treatment in depression and weight loss. It also has an important role in sleep regulation, appetite control, immune function and cardiovascular health.
Truth be told, I don’t take this every single day. I use it specifically when I have had late nights and felt that I really need to sleep well tonight. Quite consistently, I get restful sleeps without my mind going wild about things I have to do the following day or reflecting on things that have happened. The supplements are not expensive and are pretty safe to consume.
You can get the same brand that I’m taking (Now Foods, 5-HTP, 100 mg) or get it from your own preferred supplement company.
It sparked from a conversation with Emma about how she and Ethan ought to receive a decent present from Santa this Christmas. I’ve had plenty of ideas in the past on how to track merits and demerits ranging from a whiteboard stuck to the fridge or bomb shelter door to a Google Assistant enabled method of populating a shared Google Sheet with awards and deductions. The Google Assistant method was close but there were limitations so I never got to complete that. Emma suggested the whiteboard method but I wasn’t keen to have an exposed whiteboard that is prone to “hacking” (modification) of scores when I’m out so I told her that I’d build something by the next day. I spent the entire night and the wife was very annoyed with me being still up at 5am while the kids rolled around restlessly without my presence in bed.
So let’s start with the requirements
- Must be able to track points for 2 kids (Emma and Ethan)
- Must be cloud-based so that multiple parents/guardians can have access to award/deduct points anytime, anywhere, with everything synchronised perfectly
- Must be able to award / deduct points easily without fuss
- Must have a real-time “dashboard” for the kids to check their scores at anytime from their iPads
For the admin portal (for parents to award/deduct points), I had to make sure that:
- On document load, fetch Emma and Ethan’s current scores and populate them in the input form fields as shown in the screenshot
- On any change to the fields, either via the -/+ buttons or editing the score directly in the input, the score in the input field will be sent to a separate PHP script along with the new score and for whom the score is meant for.
- Check that mySQL returns an affected row count of >0 (technically it must be “1” for success modification of 1 record)
For the kids’ dashboard,
- Visually pleasing, fancy way of displaying the 2 scores
I also took pictures of the kids in order to use them for the dashboard. What a tiring day!
Sorry that I won’t be releasing the source codes as I deem myself as a sloppy, amateur coder. I, however, hope to inspire you guys out there to find creative ways to engage your kids!
Feel free to share your comments or feedback!
We took the kids (@doubleetoh) to Kallang Wave Mall for lunch and to get some groceries as we’re going to have a small steamboat lunch for Mother’s Day the next day. After lunch, we brought the kids to get their Zoomoov fix. We also gave in to their request for the Choo Choo Train ride as well. We used to pay $6 per kid but they seem to have switched their ticketing mechanics. A $6 ticket allows for 2 pax be it a child + parent or child + child. Since Emma and Ethan can already ride on their own, we spent $12 and that gave them 2 rounds of train ride together! They are also running a promotion now where each $6 ride ticket comes with a free gift! When do you receive the gift? During the ride, there will be a “pit stop” at Paco FunWorld where a man will come out with a box for the child to select his/her gift! Super cool and such a great deal!